[Ffmpeg-devel] HDTV-H.264 by BBC not playing

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Sep 15 17:05:56 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:27:38PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> -demuxer lavf works here but I still get some spurious output:

Yes, it definitly does. In MPlayer the ES parser seems to have some bug.

> Error while decoding frame!
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]non existing PPS referenced
> [h264 @ 008C16B8]decode_slice_header error
>
> This is repeated many times before the video window opens and the
> video is played. It plays fine though. :)

That's no surprise, if you try to start decoding in the middle of the
stream it just can't work (because the frames needed to decode are not
available).
Playback will start on the next keyframe.
Once MPlayer's parser is fixed, you shouldn't get this problem anymore
since then the demuxer will start sending data only after the first
keyframe (I think, at least after the first SPS).

Greetings,
Reimar D??ffinger