[Ffmpeg-devel] [REQUEST] MMX/MMX2 and SSE optimizations for H.264 decoding

Diego Biurrun diego
Thu Sep 15 19:36:19 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:42:56PM +0200, Martin Boehme wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 02:06:49PM +0200, Martin Boehme wrote:
> >>And if FFmpeg is faster than Nero, that would also seem to indicate that
> >>there probably isn't too much "low-hanging fruit"...
> >
> >FWIW, it's much slower than QuickTime on PPC.
>
> Do you have any numbers on this, or is it just based on optimization?
> What kind of factor, would you guess?

Some time ago I tried a few HD trailers from apple.com on my 1.5Ghz
PowerBook under OS X.  They all played fluently with QuickTime, while
MPlayer was playing little more than a slideshow.  I'd guess a factor of
2-10, but this was some time ago, I'd have to check again.

Diego