[Ffmpeg-devel] Macromedia Flash 8

Måns Rullgård mru
Mon Sep 19 16:10:33 CEST 2005

Mike Melanson said:
>>> For my part, I am busy investigating VC-1/WMV3 support right now.
>>

>>   Could I trouble you to give a quick rundown on this?  I took a look
>> around the Internet to try and find some information on the various M$
>> codecs but it's a little confusing.  Is WMV3 a really old format or do
>> the number systems used by M$ codecs and file formats just not make much
>> sense?
>
> 	WMV3 is the hottest thing going in the Windows Media camp. It is also
> known as WMV9 and is also soon to be known as VC-1 or VC-9 and is part
> of the upcoming (so they say) HD-DVD standard (as opposed to Sony's
> Blu-Ray which is supposed to support stock H.264).

At this year's IBC, everyone seemed to have settled on calling it VC-1.
That is, the few who could be bothered to even mention it.  H.264 is
definitely the hot thing in the broadcast world, especially when combined
with HD.

At IBC, Microsoft had confined themselves to a private room upstairs, or so
rumor had it.  Nobody I spoke with had actually seen them, and I didn't
particularly care to go looking for them.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com