[Ffmpeg-devel] build systems

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Sep 20 18:11:39 CEST 2005

Daniel Serpell wrote:
> Hi!
>
> El Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 02:23:29PM +0200, Attila Kinali escribio:
>
>>Is there really nothing around that would replace autotools
>>if they are so "bad" ? Then why hasn't anyone written
>>a replacement yet?
>

> Well, KDE is replacing autotools with SCons: http://www.scons.org/
>
> But to use SCons you need python...

And scons so far proven itself slightly worse than imake and autotools
put together....

The only build system that works fine and is quite flexible is kbuild,
seconded by hand written bash scripts + Makefile...

autotools have some shortcomings that could be unbearable, unsermake
could address some but the m4 problem will remain.

If you want to migrate from hand writte configure I'd move to kbuild or
at least try to see if is suitable.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero