[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: On2 vs libvp62

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Apr 19 09:36:39 CEST 2006

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

>> > Here that stuff is taught in CS departments... :(
>>
>> Here it is exactly the same :-( (from experience). Ever heard of Jackson
>> Structured Programming? No comments...

I've been spared that experience, thankfully.  Well, I don't know what
it is, but from your tone I assume it's nothing I'd like to make any
closer encounters with.

>> I fear for the future of software development. On the other hand, most
>> commercial packages already are "coded" in visual basic and friends, so
>> it can't get much worse.
>
> I don't fear. The more poorly CS-educated fools are writing the
> proprietary software, the more of an advantage properly written free
> software will gain. :)

That's not how it works.  The more bad programmers there are, the more
bad software will be written, both open and closed source.  The
difference between open and closed source is mainly that with open
source anyone can inspect the code and see for themselves how good or
bad it is.  The reason bad closed source is perhaps more wide-spread
is that behind a bad commercial product there is usually a marketing
department that may be able to spin something that makes the product
sell despite its flaws.  An open source product is promoted by its
quality alone, meaning that the bad ones won't be used by many people.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com