[Ffmpeg-devel] [OT] literary hideosities

Måns Rullgård mru
Thu Apr 20 09:42:56 CEST 2006

Gary Corcoran <gcorcoran at rcn.com> writes:

> Fran?ois Revol wrote:
>
>> Oh well, if real computers were as in TV series we'd all get mad
>
> I know what you mean, but consider this...
>
> In the early 80's I saw a TV show where somebody was on a computer
> terminal, punched a few keys, and a video of something that had
> happened that day started playing on the terminal.  I laughed -
> after all, anybody who knew what computers could do knew that
> *computers don't do video*!  At least not way back then...  ;-)

That's different.  I don't mind so much if a film shows technology
that doesn't exist, as long as it looks realistic in some sense.  I
very much doubt that computers will ever in the future display all
text one character at a time, in a huge green font, making a beeping
sound along with each letter appearing.  Or take those database
searches they sometimes do, where each entry is displayed on the
screen as the search progresses, obviously accompanied with a suitable
sound effect.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com