[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: On2 vs libvp62

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sat Apr 22 11:44:41 CEST 2006

Balatoni Denes wrote:

> What is your point? The projects you mentioned (you didn't mention vorbis, but
> mentioned xiph) have accomplishments, and have gained somewhat widespread
> acceptance. You probably don't have such accomplishments - definietly not as
> an "ffmpeg developer" - so why not just shut up ? (btw I don't have such
> accomplishments either, but at least I have contributed to ffmpeg more than
> 10 lines of trivial fixes - not much more, but still).

Some of their stuff are quite good (eg vorbis or cdparanoia), some
aren't that great but still good from a pr/mindshare point of view (eg.
theora), but isn't the best of the crop, some are toys that people
enjoy, like http servers for multimedia files, but aren't a "right"
solution.

The point is that you can always improve, xiph has a good PR but some of
their solution aren't as good as they should, ffmpeg has maybe better
solutions (like snow), but they don't take off because less people is
involved and there isn't enough mindshare about it.

That said, who is going to draw a better logo for ffmpeg, snow, nut,
${ods15_audio_codec} and so on? =)

lu - flames are nices if the resulting ashes could be used as fertilizer

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero