[Ffmpeg-devel] closed captioning bug?

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Mon Apr 24 08:23:36 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 23:50 -0400, Cyrus A wrote:
[...]
> More info here: I downgraded (wiped and reinstalled) to FC3. An old
> version of ffmpeg (probably early 2005) seems to work (at least for a
> while) when trying to capture closed captions.*
I know this is a lot of work, but can you try a dichotomic search to
find out which commit is responsible for the breakage you are seeing?
My experience is that this commit
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.c.diff?r1=1.225&r2=1.226&cvsroot=FFMpeg
might cause problems when capturing audio and video simultaneously
(note: the commit is perfectly fine and correct. The problem is that the
grab.c and audio.c inputs are a little bit "special").
But if early 2005 works ok for you this commit is not the problem...

[...]
> * The caps will work fine for up to 5 minutes (maybe more) with ffmpeg
> driving /dev/audio and /dev/video0. However, they eventually get garbled
> again for some reason. Maybe the caps go bad when I use my USB KVM
> switch? I have no idea. I'm going to try doing them without KDE or GNOME
> running and no USB switching over the next 24 hours. We'll see how they
> turn out.
I think the output of "dmesg" and "lsmod" could be useful for finding
the problem.

Also,try execution ffmpeg alone (without closed captioning) but adding
"-v 5" to the command line, and see if duplicated/dropped frames are
reported.

				Luca
--
Proud to be "coglione"