[Ffmpeg-devel] Cant convert mpeg to ogg using theora video codec

Pranav Desai pranavdesai
Fri Apr 28 02:08:30 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:

> "Pranav Desai" <pranavdesai at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I am trying to convert a mpeg file to ogg using theora as the vcodec
> > and vorbis as the acodec. It seems to only convert the audio. It just
> > skips the video.
> > If I specify the vcodec to be theora using the -vcodec option, it
> > complains about unsupported codec. I have also tried it with vp3, but
> still
> > the same result.
> >
> > Has anyone been successful in converting to ogg. Or am doing something
> > completely wrong.
>
> FFmpeg doesn't support muxing theora in ogg.  Since most of us rather
> dislike both theora and ogg, it is unlikely that such support will be
> implemented soon.  Patches will be accepted though (provided they are
> of good quality).

ok ... any particular reason to dislike, not good quality ? I just heard
about this encoder and format so I thought I will give it a try and wanted
to stream it using ffserver. Anyway, thanks for the information.

-Pranav