[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Robert Swain robert.swain
Tue Aug 1 17:01:15 CEST 2006

Herv? W. wrote:
> So nobody is going to subscribe to that list? Which effectively means
> you'll be throwing away the work that already has gone into cygwin and
> mingw support.
> Patches from outside, to fix what the regular ffmpeg development
> breaks, should presumably go to that new list? And with nobody there
> to review them they just go to the archives to rot.

I think that the people who won't subscribe aren't interested in maintaining any
compatibility for the platform. If people who are interested in maintaining such
compatibility (maybe some people who provide patches for MinGW and Cygwin
compilation currently) in a way that's agreeable to the core FFmpeg developers
then there's no reason for the new mailing list to be pointless.

I would say that if such a mailing list is to be used for development discussion
for Windows then any patch submissions there will need to be reviewed by someone
who knows what they're doing else I can see some commits being heavily flamed
and reverted or whatever because they aren't satisfactory. Creating this new
mailing list could invoke too much separation between the core team and anyone
who wants to help Windows support if no one is willing to finally say "Yes, this
code is satisfactory and doesn't mess up anything elsewhere in FFmpeg. Commit it."

Is there anyone willing and capable of being somewhat appointed Windows
compatibility maintainer? (Or whatever is appropriate.)

> If you're suggesting that those "windows whiners" are subtracting from
> time spent on regular ffmpeg development, I think you're exaggerating.
> The "windows whiners" usually get ignored or told to switch to a real
> operating system.

I think the point being made was that a lot of people on this list don't care
about Windows and don't appreciate the Windows-related noise that is posted. Not
only that but patch review and flaming surrounding it takes time, though I
suppose that's commonplace for many patches on ffmpeg-devel.

Just my thoughts,
Rob