[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Aug 1 22:10:50 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 02:16:31PM -0400, Augie Fackler wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:24 AM, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> >>History shows that it doesn't happen (look at VLC and Xine patches).
> >
> >I disagree.  Some patches got rejected (mainly Mactel stuff IIRC), but
> >no patch was silently ignored and many got applied or partially
> >applied.
> >Unfortunately at least the VLC people seem to have some patches that
> >they don't bother to send upstream...
>
> FWIW, I have seen several patches of interest to me go completely
> ignored on this list.

Examples?

Note that reviewing patches takes time and effort and is a very
underappreciated job.  Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

> Also, I've seen some patches (primarily mactel
> ones) be rejected in a fashion such that the author of the patch
> decides that his efforts on ffmpeg are a waste and that mactel
> support is unwelcome, not unlike MSVC compile fix patches.

Workarounds for compiler bugs are generally not accepted in FFmpeg,
especially not for MSVC, which simply ignores the C standard.

The mactel situation is unfortunate because it may not be possible to
support the currently available toolchain without intrusive hacks that
are unlikely to be accepted.  Also some requests for changes in those
patches were never fulfilled, I reviewed some of the build system
myself...

> In general, is it a misrepresentation of the ffmpeg project's current
> policy to say there is little interest in supporting non-recent and/
> or non-GNU cc and binutils (or equivalents therein)?

I consider this a misrepresentation.  From my point of view there is
little to no interest in supporting non-free tools and/or those that
don't follow standards.  Hacks to support more/other tools are also
frowned upon.  Integration has to be done in a clean fashion.

Diego