[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Aug 1 23:34:59 CEST 2006

Hi

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:10:50PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 02:16:31PM -0400, Augie Fackler wrote:

> > >I disagree.  Some patches got rejected (mainly Mactel stuff IIRC), but
> > >no patch was silently ignored and many got applied or partially
> > >applied.
> > >Unfortunately at least the VLC people seem to have some patches that
> > >they don't bother to send upstream...
> >
> > FWIW, I have seen several patches of interest to me go completely
> > ignored on this list.
>
> Examples?

yeah iam curious too ...

[...]
> > Also, I've seen some patches (primarily mactel
> > ones) be rejected in a fashion such that the author of the patch
> > decides that his efforts on ffmpeg are a waste and that mactel
> > support is unwelcome, not unlike MSVC compile fix patches.
>
> Workarounds for compiler bugs are generally not accepted in FFmpeg,
> especially not for MSVC, which simply ignores the C standard.

you could even say as MSVC doesnt follow the c standard its not a
c compiler and as such patches to support MSVC are almost porting
ffmpeg to another programming language :)

> The mactel situation is unfortunate because it may not be possible to
> support the currently available toolchain without intrusive hacks that
> are unlikely to be accepted.  Also some requests for changes in those
> patches were never fulfilled, I reviewed some of the build system
> myself...

yes, macintel and windows patch authors have the strong tendency to ignore
our comments to their patches, and then they come back and whine that we
didnt apply their patch, of course we cant as they ignore our comments
the dr-ffmpeg patches are another such example