[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Aug 2 08:37:50 CEST 2006

Hi all,

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 01:16 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 05:44:49PM +0200, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Well I object, vociferously. Contrary to what others post, the ffmpeg
> > > doc, and the web site, do *not* relegate windows to the rank of
> > > second-rate platform. Only compiling ffmpeg itself with MSVC is not
> > > supported.
> > >
> > > Creating such a list, will have the obvious direct consequence that the
> > > other lists will just flame "OT! Go to ffmpeg-wincrap!", and the less
> > > direct but just as obvious consequence that mingw builds will probably
> > > be broken 95% of the time. Windows *will* be hopeless as a platform for
> > > ffmpeg. That is a drastic change in development policies and I dont
> > > think it should be done that lightly.
> > >

> > What about droping windows/mingw/cygwin support ? (g)
>
> I'm against dropping support for any platform that can be supported
> within the framework of ISO C. Presently as long as you disable all
> the asm and whatnot, ffmpeg _should_ work on any standards-respecting
> C compiler (with minimal additional assumptions from POSIX like twos
> complement and char being exactly 8 bits..).
This whole discussion made me curious, so yesterday I searched for a
windows machine, I installed mingw and svn, I checked out the ffmpeg
repository, and I tried compiling...

With my great surprise, I had no problems (the most difficult part of
the story was installing mingw) and the resulting ffmpeg binary worked
perfectly. MMX and SSE optimizations were enabled without problems.

So, I think the maintainers are doing a very good job (thanks!), and I
do not see big reasons for removing a working port (mingw).
Well, everything I wanted to say is really that I tried using ffmpeg on
windows, and it worked at the first try (this is the first time I see
something working without any problems under windows :)

				Luca