[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [RFC] ffmpeg-windows mailinglist?

Christian Iversen chrivers
Thu Aug 3 20:13:23 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 17:44, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi
>
> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Well I object, vociferously. Contrary to what others post, the ffmpeg
> > doc, and the web site, do *not* relegate windows to the rank of
> > second-rate platform. Only compiling ffmpeg itself with MSVC is not
> > supported.
> >
> > Creating such a list, will have the obvious direct consequence that the
> > other lists will just flame "OT! Go to ffmpeg-wincrap!", and the less
> > direct but just as obvious consequence that mingw builds will probably
> > be broken 95% of the time. Windows *will* be hopeless as a platform for
> > ffmpeg. That is a drastic change in development policies and I dont
> > think it should be done that lightly.
>
> What about droping windows/mingw/cygwin support ? (g)

Please, please, please don't do this. (you're joking, but others aren't)

I'm developing a cross-platform multimedia engine, and we'd love to use
libavcodec, simply because it's the best damn codec collection to use, FOSS
or otherwise.

The windows-version of libavcodec/ffmpeg is a huge Impressifier for windows
people, and a great "gateway drug". We currently use it in our engine, and
would be very unhappy to see it go.

--
Regards,
Christian Iversen