[Ffmpeg-devel] Patch to add header info to flv format

Adam McCann adam.mccann
Sat Aug 5 21:28:58 CEST 2006

Chris Dolan wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2006, at 8:09 AM, Adam McCann wrote:
>
>> I find the whole issue of auto inserting metadata into FLV files
>> frustrating, as there must have been a reliable method before ffmpeg
>> or mplayer.  Currently alternatives are either not for Unix or are
>> unreliable (and/or not command line driven), but YouTube and many
>> other sites must have found another solution because they work just
>> fine.
>
> A couple weeks ago I released a Perl library called FLV::Info which
> includes rich FLV metadata injection.
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/dist/FLV-Info/
>
> Here's a minimal implementation that should solve your problem:
>
>   #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>   use strict;
>   use FLV::File;
>
>   my $infile = shift || die 'Please provide an input FLV filename';
>   my $flv = FLV::File->new();
>   $flv->parse($infile);
>   $flv->populate_meta();
>   $flv->set_meta(creationdate => scalar gmtime);
>   $flv->serialize(\*STDOUT);
>
> To check the results, use the included "flvinfo" utility.  If there's
> additional metadata that you need (like an array of keyframe times)
> I'd love to receive a patch.  :-)  This library can also create SWF or
> MP3 files from FLV files.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Dolan, Software Developer, http://www.chrisdolan.net/
> Public key: http://www.chrisdolan.net/public.key
> vCard: http://www.chrisdolan.net/ChrisDolan.vcf

Thanks Chris, however they won't be using that either, only being 2
weeks old :)

It seems to look good, but what I actually need is to add the duration,
as well as the keyframe data needed to seek the file.  There are a
couple of tools about, one I've heard a lot about is FLVTool2, however
this apparently hogs your system from several minutes to hours for files
of any reasonable size.

What I would really like is to figure out how to get mplayer's meta
injection working... somebody must have tested the patch before adding
it...?

Best regards,
Adam