[Ffmpeg-devel] libavcodec and max possible mpeg1 quality/bandwidth...

leon z leonleon77
Mon Aug 7 11:55:30 CEST 2006

Hi list...

I was experimenting with the apiexample.c in libavcodec by saving the
frames/pictures prior to them being compressed and then after they have been
decoded (i.e. after the original picture was encoded in mpeg1 and then
decoded back from mpeg1)... what I could not achieve is the "close enough to
the original" quality in the codec. No matter how much more bitrate I would
assign - the quality would still not be near as good (even perceptually) as
original ... are there some options that I am missing which need to be set
or is mpeg1 implicitly limited in its "best" quality?

Whilst we are on the subject of getting "top" quality output from codecs -
how about h.263? I would love to know what I need to do to make it change
its output (currently no matter what the settings in terms of bitrate of
indeed CODEC_FLAG_QSCALE and then picture->quality: the output is not
changing - i.e. it is still the same quality/data rate)...

Kind regards,
Leon.

Search for local singles online @ Lavalife
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23198&_t=751140432&_r=emailtaglines_search_aug06&_m=EXT