[Ffmpeg-devel] [MacIntel] ranlib issue

Ulrich von Zadow coder
Mon Aug 14 21:23:48 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 11:27:04AM +0200, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> Hmmm?  ranlib is run on the static libraries, look at the rule in the
>>> Makefile that creates them:
>>>
>>> $(LIB): $(STATIC_OBJS)
>>>        rm -f $@
>>>        $(AR) rc $@ $^ $(EXTRAOBJS)
>>>        $(RANLIB) $@
>> The error is '../lib/libavformat.a is out of date; rerun ranlib(1)
>> (can't load from it)'. Running ranlib after install solves the issue.
>> This is Mac-specific.
>
> Please try the attached patch, if you can test it on PPC as well as
> Intel that would be a plus.

No change: ranlib needs to be executed for static libraries, not dynamic
ones, and it also needs parameters.

Anyway, the patch gave me enough pointers to work on the issue myself
:-). Attached is a patch based on yours that fixes it. Since I have no
idea whatsoever if this fits into the overall structure or breaks other
plattforms, you'll probably want to change things.

Cheers,

   Uli