[Ffmpeg-devel] [MacIntel] ranlib issue

Ulrich von Zadow coder
Wed Aug 16 01:08:53 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:37:36PM +0200, Ulrich von Zadow wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>> Anyway, I think I've fixed it portably and properly.  Report back if I
>>> didn't.
>> Yup - fixed :-).
>
> Have you tested on PPC as well?

I've linked an application to the static libraries on Intel and PPC Mac
OS X, so the bug itself is fixed. make test runs but has regressions in
snow which I assume are unrelated.

Re: full path info, I don't think OS X really puts full path info into a
static library. The error seems to be a bogus compatibility 'warning'
that prevents the library from being used. From the OS X libtool manual
page:

"
BUGS
        With  the way libraries used to be created, errors were possible
        if the library was modified with ar(1) and the table of
        contents was not updated by rerunning ranlib(1). Thus the link
        editor, ld, warns when the modification date of a library is more
        recent than the creation date of its table of contents.
        Unfortunately, this means that you get the warning even if you
        only copy the library.
"

Hrmpf,

   Uli