[Ffmpeg-devel] swscale and regression tests

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Aug 18 15:18:56 CEST 2006

Hi

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 02:51:59PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 09:20 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 08:38:09AM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> [...]
> > > If something like introduce-compile_.diff is not ok, then I can add some
> > > "&& defined(CONFIG_GPL)" to all the "#ifdef" in the swscale code.
> >
> > yes, && defined(CONFIG_GPL) seems to be much clearer and flexible
> Ok, here is a patch for people to test.
>
> > of these functions where written by authors other then me and they might
> > not mind to switch to lgpl
> Ok, let's start with the non-simd versions.
> I had a look at the authors names in all the files, and here is a list:

you should also look at svn log of the files ...

> swscale-example.c:
> cs_test.c:
>         Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> rgb2rgb.c:
>         Nick Kurshev                    (no license?)
>         Michael (michaelni at gmx.at)      (GPL)
> rgb2gb_template.c:
>         Nick Kurshev                    (no license?)
>         Michael (michaelni at gmx.at)      (GPL)
>         Alex Beregszaszi                (under which license?)
> swscale.c:
>         Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> swscale_template.c:
>         Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
> swscale_altivec_template.c:
>         Romain Dolbeau <romain at dolbeau.org>
> yuv2rgb.c:
>         Aaron Holtzman <aholtzma at ess.engr.uvic.ca>
> 	H?kan Hjort <d95hjort at dtek.chalmers.se>
> 	Franck Sicard <Franck.Sicard at solsoft.fr>
>         Michael Niedermayer (michaelni at gmx.at)
> yuv2rgb_altivec.c:
>         marc.hoffman at analog.com (no license?)
> yuv2rgb_mlib.c:
>         H?kan Hjort <d95hjort at dtek.chalmers.se>
> yuv2rgb_template.c:
>         Olie Lho <ollie at sis.com.tw>
>         Michael Niedermayer
> I hope I did not miss anyone (if I did, I apologize in advance. Let me
> know if the list contains errors).
>
> So, it seems that to relicense as LGPL the non-simd part we will need
> Aaron Holtzman's (and probably H?kan Hjort's and Franck Sicard's)
> permission. I am going to write an email to all the peple listed above
> to ask about their position (I'll cc: the ffmpeg-devel).

good, also keep in mind that the yuv2rgb and rgb2rgb files contain only?
unscaled converters where swscale has generic conversation support so they
are not critical, if their authors disagree with LGPL they can simply be
disabled if CONFIG_GPL is not set and the generic code will still happily
convert rgb->rgb and yuv->rgb just slower