[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg + X264 questions

herve.flores herve.flores
Sat Aug 19 14:48:27 CEST 2006

Le 19 ao?t 06 ? 13:07, David Shirley a ?crit :

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to convert a bunch of HDTV MPEG2 (DVB streams from
> Australian TV) into H264 for space saving reasons.
>
> So far I am using the command :
>
> ffmpeg -qmax 26 -i input.mpg -f mpegts -vcodec h264 -acodec copy
> output.mpeg
>
> The first thing I notice is it will only use 1 CPU rathern that 2CPU's
> (I have a dual core system) I have compiled in pthreads to both x264
> and ffmpeg and am running the latest SVN's of both -

I use "-threads 2" on my computer (but it has 2 different proc, not a
dual core like the new intel, I didn't try with this sort of proc)

> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> The other thing I notice is that the resulting video has combing
> artifacts - If I add "-deinterlace" then these go away - Can
> x264/ffmpeg interlace the output? (-interlace results in a error)
>
> Cheers
> Dave

"-deinterlace" = removes all odd lines (or all par lines, I don't
know in fact) and keeps the others = a progressive output
if you want to write interlace in the header of your stream, use -top
1 (or top 0 depends of your source)
I don't know what's "-interlace", but ffmpeg don't make interlace
streams (= take a 50 progressive fps and transform it to a 25
interlaced fps), take a look to the mjpegtools if you need it

PS: I don't know what's happen to a h264 interlaced(how players read
well this file), but the mpg wrapper can store interlaced information

PS2: the "dev" list  is not the good list, use the "user list" ;-)

bye

Herv?