[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG-2 Acceleration Under Mac OS X - Can We Move This Forward?

Rich Felker dalias
Tue Aug 29 04:10:03 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:58:19AM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> galenz at zinkconsulting.com wrote:
> >I'm tossing this out to you all, as ffmpeg developers, in hopes that
> >somebody has some interest in working further on this. It would be
> >interesting if the functionality could somehow be integrated into
> >libavcodec, or perhaps just simply an effective player be put together.
> >There are millions of users who could benefit!
>
> I'm interested in this as I have a MacBook and such things would be useful.
> I doubt I have the same level of skills as yourself and John but I might be
> able to offer some suggestions. My initial thought was that you might try
> to make it into a library such that it can be easily used by any project.
> MPlayerOSX or VLC might be other points of interest if you don't want to
> make it into a library. Also, is it possible to extend to functionality of
> the code to allow decoding of other codecs than MPEG-2?

The best way to use this IMO is to make a vo driver for it in MPlayer,
possibly merging it with an existing relevant MPlayer vo driver.
FFmpeg libs should communicate with the driver the same way they do
for xvmc.

Rich