[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEG-2 Acceleration Under Mac OS X - Can We Move This Forward?

Eduardo nec556
Tue Aug 29 18:58:18 CEST 2006

At 04:36 28/08/2006, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've been a little bit involved with an interesting project called
>Accellent which is a libavcodec-based reverse-engineer of Mac OS X's
>MPEG-2 hardware acceleration API. Apple refused to release any data

>erest in working further on this. It would be
>interesting if the functionality could somehow be integrated into
>libavcodec, or perhaps just simply an effective player be put
>together. There are millions of users who could benefit!

Well, not only MPEG-2, you can use the GPU for accelerate almost any
mathematical function. For example, check, this pdf
http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/ger/research/pub/pub2000/VisSym00hopf.pdf#search=%22opengl%20wavelet%22
where a method for calculate wavelet using OpenGL is showed (note,
only mathematical and some timings, not code). Using GLSL (OpenGL
shading language) you can make a GPU program that can calculate the
wavelet of any image.

At http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~ttwong/demo/dwtgpu/dwtgpu.html you
have opensource c++ code for implement DWT on Nvidias GPU and a
JPEG2000 library, jasper, that uses it.

HTH