[Ffmpeg-devel] How to compile ffmpeg as a shared library and install the headers?

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat Dec 2 19:36:52 CET 2006

Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> writes:

> Grzegorz Borowiak wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I am a programmer and an amateur movie maker. I'm developing a
>> non-linear video editing system. By now it is batch-only and it calls
>> multiple external programs to do the job. I plan to make it more
>> interactive and I would like to use libavcodec and libavformat for
>> some tasks.
>> My problem is: how to compile and install ffmpeg libraries as shared
>> objects and how to install header files into /usr/local/include in
>> some clean, automatized way (opposite to manual copy file by file)? I
>> would like to link to ffmpeg dynamically, so my program capabilities
>> could grow automagically along with ffmpeg libraries capabilities.
>
> Not presently possible. FFmpeg has no stable API or formal release
> schedule.

Don't tell lies.  Building shared versions of the ffmpeg libraries is
well supported.  The API/ABI does change from time to time, but we do
make an effort to keep it stable when doing so does not impair
performance or functionality.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com