[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Compiling FFmpeg using ISO/C89 compiler

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme
Wed Dec 6 19:58:10 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi

>>> You want other people to implement these codecs LGPL, and yet want to code
>>> to use your firms binary decoder? I sense a slight failure of logic here...
>> Nop. There are 2 different lines: one for the stuff that would be nice
>> when using the LGPL version, the other is one of our (main) requirement.
>> But I agree it doesn't really matter to most people if it's available.
>>
>> Anyway, I mostly listed the stuff that we had to add, fix or change in
>> order to have a usable library for what we need.
>
> you added a LGPL RV40 decoder? ;)

I added some LGPL code to decode RV40, yes. But it's using DirectShow to
access the original Real DLLs. So I didn't even think about submitting
it here.

> anyway if you want to have some things like RV40 support, why dont you just
> get divxnetworks to sponsor it like googles summer of code (though of course
> the requirement for final payment should be a working decoder in svn not
> just something somewhere which someone else then has to cleanup and
> integrate)

DivX, Inc. is not called DivXNetworks anymore :) And they are already
sponsoring their own employees to improve FFMPEG ;) Plus RealVideo
decoding is not really a priority for us. But that makes DrDivX one of
the very few tools that can convert many matroska files (RV9) to
something more usable.

Steve