[Ffmpeg-devel] BeOS support to be discontinued Feb 1 2007

Cian Duffy myob87
Tue Dec 12 02:16:49 CET 2006

On 12/12/06, M?ns Rullg?rd <mru at inprovide.com> wrote:

> Parts of libavformat are currently riddled with special cases for
> BeOS.  This special casing is making everyday code maintenance
> increasingly difficult, and flies in the face of our commitment to
> write clean, portable code.
>
> We have repeatedly asked the BeOS users (Francois et al) to clean up
> the mess, only to be met with silence.

Erm... I seem to remember I'm the only person who's pushed for BeOS support
recently, I don't remember being asked? If you could provide a clearer
description of what the "mess" is, I'd be more than willing to take a look
in to it, but not having heard anything on here or when I've been on IRC, I
haven't got a clue.

In light of the above, we regrettably have only one remaining option:
> dropping BeOS support.
>
> If the BeOS users wish to see continued support for their OS of
> choice, they have until February 1 2007 to come up with a clean
> solution for whatever the issues may be.  If by that time we have seen
> some serious efforts to set things straight, we will of course extend
> the deadline within reasonable bounds.

Again, if the "issues" were made clear...

My sincere hope is that this mail will finally awaken someone who is
> both willing and capable to sort this out.  Dropping support for a
> platform, no matter how obscure, is never a fun thing to do.
>
> Before the flaming starts, I would like to point to the situation on
> win32.  A few months ago we were receiving reports on a daily basis
> regarding compilation and runtime issues with both cygwin and mingw.
> Many proposals were made, most of them rejected for much the same
> reasons we wish to clean up the BeOS support.  Nevertheless, through
> the efforts of a few dedicated users, we managed to achieve full
> functionality on win32 without resorting to ugly hacks.

Full functionality on BeOS R5 isn't possible without "ugly hacks", however
with networking disabled, it should be.

Cian