[Ffmpeg-devel] Native H.264 encoder

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Dec 15 18:10:01 CET 2006

Hi Takis,

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 14:35 +0100, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
[...]
> > BTW, I tried to have a better look at the quality of the encoded
> > video... Looking at the artefacts, someone suggested that they might be
> > due to poor motion estimation.
> > Your encoder is using its own code for motion estimation, right? How
> > difficult would it be to reuse ffmpeg's code?
> Well, for me, pretty hard... The reason we started writing our own
> ME-code was because we did not find any structured way to reuse the
> motion estimation code. There appears to be no api or guidelines.
Ok... I tried to have a quick look, and I understand what you mean ;-)

> It
> seems most codecs reuse parts of MpegEncContext code combined with some
> conditional parts added to mpegvideo.c. I would prefer to see the motion
> estimation code separated from the codecs,
In snow.c, I found the following comment at line 471:
    MpegEncContext m; // needed for motion estimation, should not be
used for anything else, the idea is to make the motion estimation
eventually independant of MpegEncContext, so this will be removed then
(FIXME/XXX)

Since it seems that making the motion estimation codec independant of
MpegEncContext is in the plans (and can be useful for the whole ffmpeg
project), I'll try to have a better look to see how to do this (as soon
as I'll have some time :)...
I do not promise anything, but I'll try.

Anyway, do you agree that motion estimation can be the cause of the
artefacts in the encoded H.264 video? Or is this a bad interpretation?

				Thanks,
					Luca