[Ffmpeg-devel] refactoring ffmpeg.c for shared librarycompatibility.

Måns Rullgård mru
Sun Dec 17 14:35:37 CET 2006

V?ctor Paesa <wzrlpy at arsystel.com> writes:

> Hi,
>> Hi
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 06:48:20PM +0800, Jaime V. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'd like to refactorize ffmpeg.c in order to write a function to
>>> initialize and teardown variables in it and need some help for it.
>>> I willing to undertake the deed and maybe it can contribute this way to
>>> the project. :)
>>>
>>> Frustrated by the common beginners difficulty of trying to use ffmpeg in
>>> a project to transcode some videos i came up with the idea of using the
>>> already implemented ffmpeg.c as a library. This makes it easier for
>>> beginners to use ffmpeg from within existing projects or foreign
>>> environments such as MSVC. This also comes in handy when using own
>>> protocols.
>>
>> exec("ffmpeg(.exe)", ...)
>
> There two advantages on this proposal:
> a) Spawning processes is slower that using this high level library,

I can't imagine a situation where that overhead would be significant
at all.

> b) its API could be less prone to changes than the current low level API.

The same can be said of the command line interface.

> This high level API could be adopted by the many GUIs that now use exec()

As I said, there's little reason for avoiding exec in the first place...

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com