[Ffmpeg-devel] refactoring ffmpeg.c forsharedlibrarycompatibility.

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Dec 18 11:01:53 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 04:07:36PM +0800, Jaime V. wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > furthermore any program which is designed to run ffmpeg more or less from
> > main() for each image of a significant number of images is missdesigned
>

> I hope i was not misunderstood. I dont want to recall or redefine
> libffmpeg. This has nothing to do with the FFmpeg library API.
>
> I mean just a refactorization of the ffmpeg.c application.
>
> I think one of the biggest advantages lies in the simplified API for end
> users who are not so well into the library and wish to perform trivial
> tasks, which are already implemented in ffmpgeg.c.
> Like i explained in my other post this approach reduces the programming
> and maintaining overhead for trivial tasks as the library behind evolves.

and as i already said use exec()

[...]

> Of course it would be quite inefficient to call the whole main() every
> time. Thats why i proposed refactorizing ffmpeg.c. Not redesigning it or
>  bloating it. I dont want to add nor remove any new functionality. I
> thought about allowing programmers to reuse the already existing code in
> there.
> I dont think it would be a "missdesign" to try to keep it simple on the
> user end. Even if it implies not being perfect.

what was posted was not a patch to ffmpeg.c but rather a tar.gz which droped
new files in, if you want to refactor something send a proper patch first
then it can be disscussed

> If there was a way of loading the library  and being able to just
> re-call the main functionality by just reseting the variables then we
> quite have scenario Victor explained. No need to reload libffmpeg but
> ffmpeg.c
>
> I'd also like to point at my real case:
> i only need to use the transcoding function on audio or video files
> using my custom protocol...

so add it to your ffmpeg ...

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates