[Ffmpeg-devel] Native H.264 encoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Dec 18 22:04:34 CET 2006

Hi

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 11:34:37PM +0100, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
[...]
> > > It
> > > seems most codecs reuse parts of MpegEncContext code combined with some
> > > conditional parts added to mpegvideo.c. I would prefer to see the motion
> > > estimation code separated from the codecs,
> > In snow.c, I found the following comment at line 471:
> >     MpegEncContext m; // needed for motion estimation, should not be
> > used for anything else, the idea is to make the motion estimation
> > eventually independant of MpegEncContext, so this will be removed then
> > (FIXME/XXX)
> Yep, I saw that comment too, but if I recall correctly, it has been there for
> quiet a while :)
>
> > Since it seems that making the motion estimation codec independant of
> > MpegEncContext is in the plans (and can be useful for the whole ffmpeg
> > project), I'll try to have a better look to see how to do this (as soon
> > as I'll have some time :)...
> > I do not promise anything, but I'll try.
> Ah! That would be awesome! :) I'll help out whereever I can!

btw 2 tips
1. submit small patches, a 40k motion estimation cleanup patch would be
   a nightmare for me and whoever submits it ...
2. look at snow.c and try to reduce the number of lines of code which
depend on MpegEncContext if it reaches 0 then motion estimation can be
used without MpegEncContext ...

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates