[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg Roadmap

Colin Ward lists
Thu Feb 2 06:26:13 CET 2006

Rick Harris wrote:

> As a member of this mailing list, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

   I'm the same.  Sometimes you've gotta do a lot of reading before you
can do any writing.  :-)

   [Snip]

> Two areas that crrently require attention are the .MOV parser & framerate detection.
> These used to work, but over time have been broken.

   Yes!  I have support for quite a range of video formats in my media
player and they all work fine, *except* for the .mov format, which
results in crazy framerates of 1 FPS for videos that are really 30 FPS.
  I have tried in vain to get my player working for .mov as well but all
of my attempts at obtaining the framerate from FFMPEG have resulted in
correct framerates for all formats *except* .mov or correct framerates
but *only* for .mov.  Repeated questions to this list have resulted in
answers from "it's your fault for using FFMPEG incorrectly" to "The .mov
decoder is broken and isn't returning framerate data correctly."

   Whatever it is, we need to fix it once and for all.  Looking through
the ffmpeg.c source code there are all sort of hacks for calculating pts
values but this seems wrong to me.  Surely with a system such as FFMPEG
this should all be abstracted away from the calling code?  If you call
FFMPEG and obtain a frame of data then that frame should have a pts
associated with it.  It shouldn't matter whether the file is a variable
or constant framerate file, or whether it is .mov, .mpeg or .avi.  I
shouln't *care* about this.  But it seems that with the current version
of FFMPEG I *do* have to care about this.  And I have to hack, and
understand the internals of FFMPEG just to get a correct pts.

   So can someone say once and for all, why is it so difficult to get
correct pts values from .mov files when they work for all other formats?

[Hitman/Code HQ - 6502/z80/68000/604e/80x86/ARM coder - Amiga rulez!]
[VZ-200/VIC-20/MZ-700/c16/c64*10/c128*8/Plus-4/CPC464/CD32/500*2    ]
[600/1000/1200*2/A4000/SNES/N64/Dreamcast/Athlon 1100/AmigaOne      ]
[Assembly Language: The most fun you can have with your clothes on! ]