[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Linuxtag 2006

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Feb 3 17:26:52 CET 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 04:02:09PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Diego Biurrun said:
> >
> > I'm glad that finally somebody else is taking the initiative to push
> > this forward.  I will be there for the whole duration of the event and I
> > will help you with the organization.  So will Roberto.
>
> Great.  I've registered the project on the Linuxtag website.  It's
> shouting at me for not providing a German description of the project.
> Is that a requirement?  My German isn't quite up to the task, I'm afraid.

Fill in the English stuff and add a few people to the project.  Once I
have an account I can quickly translate the texts to German.

> > So what can we do?
> >
> > * Put up the obligatory MPlayer poster, but also something more, maybe a
> >   diagram that explains the inner workings of multimedia players/files
> >   or NUT-related stuff.
>
> Who can print large formats?

FYI, I still have the big MPlayer logo poster from last year.

> > * Live-CDs, we wanted to make one last year, it did not get finished in
> >   time..
>
> How far did it get?  Are there some rotting bits on someones hard drive that
> could be revived, or is it better to start afresh?

Luca Barbato wanted to create a Gentoo live CD.  Dunno how far he got in
the end.

> > * Collect donations, sell CDs with multimedia software on it.  We were
> >   asked about this constantly the last two years.  Download seems to be
> >   nice, take away better...
>
> We could burn these on demand, and avoid wasting blanks.

Given the price of blank CDs this should not be a big issue.  It would
be nice if we could at least print a logo or something on the CDs.  We
had some preliminary logos last year, IIRC Alexander Strasser made them.

> We need permission from Linuxtag to sell stuff. I included a request
> for this in the project registration.

OK, although I think we should just give them away in exchange for a
donation of the visitor's choice.

> > * On-stage fixing: Why not have people bring in their broken samples on
> >   CD and we try to fix them immediately.  No guarantees of course, the
> >   complexity of playback fixes can be arbitrarily high, but I'm sure we
> >   can pull off a few bug fixes.  Telling people about workarounds will
> >   also make them happy.  We wanted to do this last year, but didn't
> >   manage due to lack of organization.  LinuxTag would love this, they
> >   wanted to add this to the list of available highlights last year.
>
> Good idea.  I'll bring a few DVDs that are strange in one way or another.

I would love for this to become a reality.  It would show off one big
advantage of FOSS: That you can really get in touch with the devs and
that everybody can make a difference, even with a bug report, no matter
how small it might be.

Diego