[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in libavutil Makefile (or maybe just mystupidity? Be gentle...)

Philippe Dirkse philippe
Sat Feb 4 12:40:59 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diego Biurrun" <diego at biurrun.de>
To: "FFMpeg development discussions and patches" <ffmpeg-devel at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in libavutil Makefile (or maybe just
mystupidity? Be gentle...)

> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:17:45PM +0100, Philippe Dirkse wrote:
>>
>> the contents of my config.mak file are:

>> BUILDSUF=
>> LIBPREF=lib
>> LIBSUF=${BUILDSUF}.a
>> SLIBPREF=
>> SLIBSUF=${BUILDSUF}.dll
>> EXESUF=${BUILDSUF}.exe
>> SLIBNAME=$(SLIBPREF)$(NAME)$(SLIBSUF)
>> SLIBNAME_WITH_VERSION=$(SLIBPREF)$(NAME)$(SLIBSUF).$(LIBVERSION)
>> SLIBNAME_WITH_MAJOR=$(SLIBPREF)$(NAME)$(SLIBSUF).$(LIBMAJOR)

>> Also, the 'offending' line in my libavutil\Makefile (lne 36) contains:
>>
>> $(LIB): $(OBJS)
>> rm -f $@
>> $(AR) rc $@ $(OBJS)
>> $(RANLIB) $@
>
> Hmmm, it seems that your system does not like the empty variable LIB.
> Does it go away if you remove the 4 lines you pasted above from the
> Makefile?
>
> This is peculiar, I cannot reproduce it on Linux...

Unfortunately no dice... removing the lines just brings me the next error:

make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'Files\Microsoft', needed by 'all'

(which is probably totally unrelated to my previous problem?)

I think I will have no choice but to delve into the internals of the
mysterious makefile, but first I will have to
get my girlfriend to leave the house to get the time to do so ;-) If I find
out what's causing my troubles I will
post the results here.

> Diego
>
> P.S.: Please don't top-post.

Sorry about that, I was not aware of this policy, won't happen again. Thanks
for your help so far!

Philippe