[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Raw aac

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Feb 7 13:37:29 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 13:02 +0100, Baptiste COUDURIER wrote:

> > My utter final goal is to fix the ffmpeg mp4 muxer, but that may still
> > take some time :-( Maybe I could make ffmpeg use the gpac muxer some
> > way, it seems they have the muxer in a lib, but I guess that would not
> > be preferred by the ffmpeg devs.
> >
> > Does the fact, that the mp4 muxer still is broken and nobody complains,
> > mean that everybody is actually using avi?!
>
> I use it oftenly. Im very interested in mp4 muxer work. What did you
> find not working ?

I see various reports of h264 in mp4 produced by ffmpeg is not
completely standard, mplayer plays it fine (although it loops), but that
doesn't say anything ;-) I cannot test real compliance because it seems
no player (at least on linux) is 100% compliant and picky concerning
mp4.

I was told the "avcC" atom is missing, and also gpac shows differences
between a file muxed by ffmpeg and muxed by itself:

< File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD
---
> File has root IOD
> Scene PL 0xff - Graphics PL 0xff - OD PL 0xff
> Visual PL: AVC/H264 Profile (0x15)
> Audio PL: AAC Profile @ Level 2 (0x29)
> No streams included in root OD

Also gpac (MP4Box) segfaults if doing anything with the h264 stream in
the mp4 itself, like extracting it, packing it into a mp4 file by
itself, or even remuxing it. This very much looks like some bits are not
as expected ;-)

I am using (release) gpac 0.4.0, it seems the public cvs server is
broken.

If ffmpeg would produce anything that can be handled by gpac, it would
be fine by me, then I can use gpac to remux it to mp4-isma.