[Ffmpeg-devel] Bug in libavutil Makefile (or maybe just mystupidity? Be gentle...)

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Feb 13 11:31:29 CET 2006

Alexander Strasser wrote:
> hi,
>
> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>>  That is normal behaviour iirc, static libs are not installed
>>>by default. You should be able to install them with the installib
>>>target as the Wanderer pointed out already.
>>
>>OK, but what about the headers?  Should the headers be installed for the
>>static lib version or not?
>

>   IMHO the headers should be installed, else it would have little use.
> This is also the current situation.
>   The other problem is what make install should do, current situation
> is as follows:
>
>   static libs only build
>     -> install only the statically linked ff* binaries
>        without libs and headers
>
>   shared libs only build
>     -> install the dynamically linked ff* binaries
>        and of course the shared libs
>        but also install the headers
>
>   static and shared libs build
>     -> install ff* binaries (if they are statically linked or
>        dynamically is dependent on the linkers decision)
>        and the headers and shared libs

This is not allowed anymore.

>   So the current situation does, more or less works for what most users
> somehow have in mind when building the static or shared versions of libav
> and ffmpeg binaries. Also it is not really logical and maybe also not
> really documented(i didn't check).
>
>   I vote for postponing changes if needed to after the planned release.

Sorry to come back again with my pet peeve, but you know that a major
behavior change after the release is going to be a nightmare; unless of
course we stick to the 'get cvs' olicy, and then why bother with a release?

>   Alex (beastd)

Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
T +32 [0] 2 790 29 41