[Ffmpeg-devel] interlace and motion artifacts

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 17 04:30:51 CET 2006

Hi

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:10:25PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:52:06AM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 09:22 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > [...]
> > > there was someone working on porting the swscaler code from mplayer ...
> > > but apparently he lost interrest ...
> > I did some experiments a long time ago (around 08 Dec 2004, according to
> > my last email on the subject). See the attached patch (against an old
> > version of ffmpeg - more than 1 year ago).
> >
> > But I lost interest before coming up with something useful because:
> > 1) I needed some help for integrating swscaler in a proper way, but if I
> > remember well the replies I got to my email did not help me enough (of
> > course, this is probably due to the fact that my knowledge of ffmpeg was
> > not sufficient)
> > 2) libswscaler is GPLed. Someoned mentioned that it was going to be
> > relicended under LGPL, so I decided to wait before working on it more
> > seriously. I am still waiting... ;-)
>
> IIRC Michael's deal was that he would release it under LGPL if/when
> someone ports it to ffmpeg. :) Maybe I'm mistaken though.

IIRC the proposition was, that ill make it LGPL if arpi continues work on
MPlayer G2 and arpi still wants swscaler under LGPL in G2

AFAIK noone is working on G2 :(

what about making the generic C based scaling part LGPLed
while leaving the asm code under GPL if someone ports the code to ffmpeg?

that should also make fabrice happy, IIRC he was concerned about GPL only
scaling in ffmpeg ...

Michael