[Ffmpeg-devel] FFmpeg naming and logo

Måns Rullgård mru
Fri Feb 17 09:55:35 CET 2006

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:47:07AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>> I suppose you dont use a mobile phone because the embedded and network
>> software arent opensource?
>
> No because it really has no impact on usability. You use a phone to
> talk, not to run programs. There is no stored data locked away in a
> proprietary format.

Sure there is.  The address book in many phones is not open in any
way.  I don't care much, since it is only a small amount of
information, but it is a little annoying.  It gets especially annoying
when the windows program to access it that comes with the phone
doesn't work.

> It is not hypocritical because I am using a phone to talk, not as
> the logo for free software...
>
>> Ditto your car?
>
> There is hardly software in my car, unless you call a few hundred
> bytes of code on the tiny embedded system that controls the check
> engine light software.

I don't know what you drive, but most cars less than ten years old
have software controlling much more than that.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com