[Ffmpeg-devel] interlace and motion artifacts

François Revol revol
Fri Feb 17 10:24:45 CET 2006

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 04:30:51AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > that should also make fabrice happy, IIRC he was concerned about
> > GPL only
> > scaling in ffmpeg ...
>
> Let me ask a few historical questions here: IIRC FFmpeg started out
> as
> GPL, but was later converted to LGPL, right?  What was the motivation
> for this step and when did it happen?

At a time where I wanted to publish some generic decoder addon for
BeOS, but couldn't GPL it cause the headers weren't public.
It probably helped FFDShow as well.
GPL considerations aside (exec troll >/dev/null), LGPL is much easier
to use in non-GPL or embedded projects.

Fran?ois.