[Ffmpeg-devel] Problem with ffserver. Stream stops almost immediately.

Bryan Mayland bmayland
Fri Feb 17 16:48:55 CET 2006

Pranav Desai wrote:
>>     I've also noticed that the feed generator (ffmpeg outputting to
>> .ffm) runs as fast as possible too.  That seems fundamentally wrong
>> because if it encodes faster than real time, it will eventually wrap the
>> .ffm file and start overwriting areas clients are still streaming from
>> (assuming the clients are playing in real time).
>>

> I think I understand what you are saying here, but that doesnt seem to
> happen. I have used ffserver previously to watch 4-5 hrs of television live
> (200 kbps stream) with my upload bandwidth no greater than 200 kbps, and
> never had any problem with the feed wrapping and screwing up the client.
> Shouldnt it wrap up, since ffmpeg must be writing it faster than 200kbps?

    Well this is probably a different situation, since ffmpeg can't read
live tv any faster than real-time.  I was testing it using a
pre-recorded file already on my hard drive and it was encoding at about
2x speed, which I think would eventually lead to a wrapping problem.
I'm guessing if I was watching live tv, I wouldn't have that problem though.