[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder andffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 20 16:34:40 CET 2006

Hi

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 04:06:09PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:53 +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> [...]
> > > My recommendation for anyone using x264 in FFmpeg would be to check the x264
> > > command line defaults and explicitly specify all parameters to FFmpeg using
> > > the defaults from the x264 CLI and whatever alterations one may want to make.
> > I tried to do that, but I got lost :(
> > I think the problem could be related to the rate control settings, but I
> > am not sure.
> Ok, I think I tracked down part of the problem: it seems that the
> deblocking filter is involved (in ffmpeg, it is disabled by default. In
> mencoder and in the x264 CLI, it is enabled). Adding the "-loop" option
> to ffmpeg, the quality improves a lot (BTW: are "loop filter" and
> "deblocking filter" the same thing?).

strictly speaking no
deblocking filter removes blocks
loop filter performs _some_ filter operation in the motion compensation loop

so some postprocessing filters may be deblock filters but never loop filters

what h264 and h263 have are deblocking-loop filters ...
mpeg4 asp has neither, but you can of course do anyting with the final output
like passing it through a deblock-postprocess filter

everything clear? or did i successfully confused you?

Michael