[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpeg whenencoding using x264

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Mon Feb 20 22:32:33 CET 2006

Erik Slagter wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 13:06 -0800, Loren Merritt wrote:
>
>> We ask for unified diff because it's more readable. That's not
>> specific to code patches.
>
> Ow, okay, personally I find context diffs more readable...

I'd be curious to know how - given that, since they provide no real
context for their changes, it's hard to even tell what's really being
changed much of the time. (Why they're called "context" diffs, when
unlike unified diffs they provide just the changes with no context at
all, I've never been able to begin to figure out. ...unless it's to
distinguish them from byte-level diffs, which concern themselves only
with exact byte offsets and are useful almost exclusively for binary
files...)

The only time I've ever seen a context diff be more readable than a
unified diff was earlier today, when there was only one block of
difference between the two files; even then, the primary (possibly sole)
reason the context diff was more readable was because the unified diff
did not provide a readily visible line of demarcation between the
"removed" and "added" sections.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.