[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Feb 21 12:27:12 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:59 +0000, Robert Swain wrote:

> Because of the way defaults are handled and because of the sharing of
> parameters this isn't easily possible. You don't know whether an option has
> been set by the user or internally and so can't decide whether to set the
> parameter or not, which implies you have to always set it, which then leads
> to using default parameters that are suboptimal. Hence why I suggested
> continuing an earlier discussion about presets for each codec.

In case of -loop, would it be acceptable to change the global default to
"on"? It seems this is the biggest issue...

Also there some options h264-specific, imho these also can be set to
saner defaults without doing harm to other codecs?!