[Ffmpeg-devel] Differences between mencoder and ffmpegwhenencoding using x264

Erik Slagter erik
Tue Feb 21 13:04:30 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 11:40 +0000, Robert Swain wrote:

> No need to shout. ;) I agree that there probably isn't any harm in
> setting the
> h.264-specific parameters to saner defaults. My intent when updating
> the
> interface was to deal with all the defaults at a later date and just
> not
> bother with any of them initially. The main priority was to at least
> enable
> all current functionality at the time as hardly any options were
> available.

Relax! I wasn't blaming anyone and neither you! Just stating some
improvement is possible, imho it's not that important who or when will
take care of it...

I appreciate very much any work that hase been done on ffmpeg, also
yours!

> In my opinion the defaults system should be altered such that defaults
> can be
> specified for each codec. Maybe inheriting defaults from elsewhere
> and
> overwriting some as required. Defaults should also be consolidated as
> they're
> all over the place (in the code) at the moment.

Ultimately, sure.