[Ffmpeg-devel] Excessive default command line output

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Wed Feb 22 22:32:36 CET 2006

Hi,

On 2/22/06, Dan Villiom Podlaski Christiansen <danchr at opendarwin.org> wrote:
> To test a newly compiled FFmpeg, I just did a quick './ffmpeg' only
> to find it pouring text into my terminal. Out of
>
> % ./ffmpeg |& wc -l
>       399
>
> Are you developers quite certain *all* those lines contain
> information relevant to the casual observer? Perhaps it would be
> relevant to do what LAME does:
>
> % lame --help |& wc -l
>        23
> % lame --longhelp |& wc -l
>       158

Except that lame is "just" an audio codec encoder when ffmpeg is a
swiss knife which support gazillion of audio, video formats and
containers as input and zilliions of video, audio formats and
containers as output.

This sure doesn't make it easy to sum it all up on a few lines.

... but your idea isn't bad, so as Diego said: you're welcome to
improve the situation by sending a patch.

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar D?ffinger