[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] seeking crash in x264 with b_pyramid

Erik Slagter erik
Mon Feb 27 13:03:43 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 10:38 -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:

> No, and now that Loren has fixed the bug, it doesn't happen with
> b_pyramid either.

:-)

BTW is b_pyramid considered ready for production nowadays?

> I was going to recommend using the harddup filter for mencoder, but that
> doesn't seem to work either. Indeed, avi2raw still says "warning: 1 zero
> length frames ignored". That may be an mencoder bug; I don't know.

Yes, I get something similar, mencoder says something like "one
duplicate frame(s) skipped".

> > and using some
> > combinations of options to x264, I get awful artifacts now and then. I
> > am trying to pinpoint the exact combination now.
>
> Hmm; I'm curious what you find out.

I cannot reproduce it now, but I do know, which is funny, that lowering
the subq or disabling trellis, or going single pass instead of dual,
solved it. Weird. Now I apply some filters to the input (like deblocking
and slight denoising, also works nicely on digital video), the qp goes
waaaaaaay down, the PSNR goes up, and the artifacts are gone. I won't
complain!

I remember having something similar with mpeg4-2, using qmin=1 (which of
course is not recommended, but I didn't know yet, then). Maybe it's a
similar issue.