[Ffmpeg-devel] bug installing on 64 bit systems

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Fri Jan 6 00:43:18 CET 2006

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 00:09:37 +0100
matthieu castet <castet.matthieu at free.fr> wrote:

> Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 13:40:50 -0500
> > csismondo at adelphia.net wrote:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I had to alter configure to force:
> >>libdir="/usr/lib64"
> >>instead of
> >>libdir=""
> >>
> >>for x86_64 systems, otherwise extra libraries (like the amr codec and such) isntall in /usr/local/lib.  For some reason trying to use configure to force prefix and lib dirs made more problems than solved.
> >>
> >>Thought you'd like to know, I think you can just alter configure to:
> >>case "$cpu" in
> >>  i386|i486|i586|i686|i86pc|BePC)
> >>    cpu="x86"
> >>  ;;
> >>  x86_64|amd64)
> >>    cpu="x86"
> >>   #ADDED THE LINE BELOW TO FIX 64 bit LIB DIR
> >>   libdir="/usr/lib64"
> >

> > This is wrong !
> > 64 bits systems uses /usr/lib as any other systems.
> > /usr/lib64 is only used on some 32/64 bits mixed systems.
> >
> > For example, debian amd64 is a 64 bits only system, and it uses /usr/lib.
> IIRC debian is a 32/64 bits mixed system...

Depends on what you mean. Default kernel has 32 bits support enabled,
but base system don't contain any 32 bits apps/libs.
There is a special ia32-libs package which provide a few 32 bits libs
allowing you to run some 3rd party 32 bits apps. Those libs are installed
into /usr/lib32.
So debian is full 64 bits, with a minimal 32 bits apps support.

Aurel