[Ffmpeg-devel] bug installing on 64 bit systems

matthieu castet castet.matthieu
Fri Jan 6 07:48:29 CET 2006

Hi,

Dave Dodge wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:40:50PM -0500, csismondo at adelphia.net wrote:
>
>>I had to alter configure to force:
>>libdir="/usr/lib64"
>>
>>for x86_64 systems, otherwise extra libraries (like the amr codec
>

> This behavior is probably only for mixed 32+64 systems such as x86_64
> and sparc64.  On ia64, Red Hat puts the 64-bit libraries in */lib.

and ppc64

> This issue is probably going to persist for a while.  The FHS
> currently prefers the Red Hat approach:
>
>   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIB64
>
> but I suspect a lot people really don't like emphasizing 32-bit
> backwards compatibility over the native 64-bit libs.  Ubuntu doesn't
may be for x86_64, but the problem will persist on sparc64 and ppc64 as
64bit mode is slower than 32 bits.

After all 64 bits has nothing to do with speed it only allows
application to use more memory.

Matthieu