[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [MPlayer-users] how to play video encoded with Camstudio Lossless Codec?

Jindrich Makovicka makovick
Mon Jan 9 20:19:23 CET 2006

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:08:23PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 03:00:14AM +0200, Ed Lau wrote:
>>
>>>Camstudio is the only one GPL-based screen capture program under Windows and most famous.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>Is it possible to add Camstudio Lossless Codec support into MPlayer codecs? This codec is released under GPL and is available here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/ - there are both: binary (windows *.dll) and Visual C++ 5.0/6.0 sourcecode available.
>>>
>>>Here - http://laugasson.pri.ee/windows/camstudio/ are also all files and sample video.
>>
>>Please try the attached patch - though it could use some cleanup (maybe
>>better use external liblzo?), and I'd like to have more samples to test.
>>Any comments on it from the ffmpeg side?
>

> use external liblzo OR write a small and clean lzo decompressor but iam
> against droping liblzo into lavc, the reasons should be obvious
> 1. maintaining that liblzo "fork" (think of secholes for example)
> 2. redunancy (for example theres a addler32 checksum routine in it, we have
> one too)
> 3. its a mess with all the #ifs
> 4. ffmpeg source size bloat
> 5. ffmpeg binary bloat of liblzo is on the system
>
> [...]

I think there could be an option to use minilzo if lavc is compiled
statically and you supply it. MPlayer already contains minilzo to
support nuppelvideo, so one could build this decoder even if there isn't
lzo devel library installed.

--
Jindrich Makovicka