[Ffmpeg-devel] Where do I report bugs?

Måns Rullgård mru
Sat Jan 14 02:19:20 CET 2006

Norman Ramsey <nr at eecs.harvard.edu> writes:

>  > > Although I followed this procedure carefully, I received not one reply
>  > > to a bug report I sent a month or two ago.
>  >
>  > we are volunteers, normal people not employed by some company who pays us
>  > for analyzing, debuging, fixing and awnsering reports, so dont look at it li
>    ke
>  > we where but rather what we are ...
>
> Every open-source project is different.  At various points in time, I
> have been responsible for two projects, on each of which we made a
> point to answer bug reports.  (Doesn't mean we fixed them, but we did
> acknowledge them.)  If it is the custom of the ffmpeg developers not
> to acknowledge bug reports, it would be nice if this sentence were
> added to the page at
> http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-bugreport.html:
>
>   Because ffmpeg is developed and maintained by volunteers, for whom
>   ffmpeg is not their primary activity, not all bug reports are
>   acknowledged.

I can tell you this: bug "reports" for old versions or with important
information missing are highly likely to be ignored.  If people can't
be bothered to take some of their time to write a good bug report, I'm
not wasting my time helping them.  If you want something, you've got
to give something too.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com