[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Where do I report bugs?

David Abrahams dave
Sat Jan 14 16:10:00 CET 2006

Matti Hamalainen <mhamalai at students.oamk.fi> writes:

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> writes:
>> >
>> > Send a patch.
>>
>> Sorry; I mean this only with the greatest respect, but this is someone
>> else's bug, I don't have time to fix it, fixing it is mechanical
>> (doesn't require any special research -- just replace always_inline
>> with FFMPEG_ALWAYS_INLINE everywhere except in the right-hand-side of
>> any resulting #define FFMPEG_ALWAYS_INLINE) and I currently have a
>> workaround I can live with.  I cared enough to report the bug, but if
>> nobody is ready to fix it today I am confident that you will get
>> plenty of complaints from other people in the future, so I guess I'll
>> leave it at that.
>>
>> Thanks for your time.
>
> I am still amazed by people who apparently have time to have often lengthy
> e-mail discussions, but can't spare a moment to fix something that is
> apparently so simple that you can call it "mechanical".

That would involve setting up an independent build environment for
ffmpeg and figuring out how to test it.  There's a lot of knowlegde
ramp-up that I don't have time or braincells for right now; I came
across this problem while I was deep in the middle of another project
requiring lots of knowledge ramp-up.  It just isn't practical for me.

> In any case, attached is my suggestion for a patch to fix this. It
> replaces always_inline with FFMPEG_ALWAYS_INLINE in the code and
> defines CONFIG_SMALL in config.h if --enable-small is given to configure.
> CONFIG_SMALL is used instead of #ifndef always_inline to determine
> what FFMPEG_ALWAYS_INLINE will be #defined to in libavutil/common.h

I suggest FFMPEG_CONFIG_SMALL.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting