[Ffmpeg-devel] About converting individual WAV file

Måns Rullgård mru
Mon Jan 16 11:17:22 CET 2006

Michel Bardiaux said:
> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> "Takeshi.Tanaka" <ztanaka at esbd.ndss.jp> writes:
>>

>>>Hi this is Japanese developer team.
>>>Could you give me a good idea after reading this mail?
>>>
>>>Converting a MPG file to individual WAV file by command-line,
>>>test1.wav and test2.wav overlap each other for 0.5sec.
>>>So that we cannot listen test1.wav and test2.wav correctly.
>>>
>>>This overlapping problem is only between test1.wav and test2.wav.
>>>
>>>Command Line coding
>>>~ffmpeg -i input.mpg -ss 0 -t 30 test1.wav
>>>~ffmpeg -i input.mpg -ss 30 -t 30 test2.wav
>>>~ffmpeg -i input.mpg -ss 60 -t 30 test3.wav
>>>
>>>Am I mistaking anything here?
>>

>> Seeking in MPEG files can never be very accurate.
>
> I dont agree. Seeking *can* be perfectly accurate *if* the file has been
> properly muxed, using correctly spaced timestamps. Extra precautions
> like constant closed GOPs should help too. Its just that ffmpeg does not
> try very hard to seek accurately, on the grounds that many files do not
> follow these rules!

The rules that files must follow are ISO 13818-1.  Were it not for timestamp
discontinuities, it would be fairly simple to do a binary search to a point
before the desired time and count frames from there.  The same I-frame issues
apply here as with any other format, only the I-frames are a little harder to
find.  Now it happens that timestamp discontinuities are allowed so there's
not a lot one can do.

The DVD format specifies some extra restrictions that make life easier.  There
is an upper limit on the GOP size of 15 frames, and there must be a packet
start at 2k aligned positions.  The disks also have an index, usually with
a granularity of about 4 seconds.  There can still be timestamp discontinuities
though.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com